Monday, September 1, 2008

Yahweh Shalom

We are one week into the school year here at the UofA. Last week was a crazy time of Bible Study recruitment, catching up with friends, and figuring out what on earth my roles are this year. I've never lived off campus before, and always seen the University as my "home," but this year having graduated and living off campus things are a bit different. Instead of me being exhausted trying to balance school and social life and freshman recruitment I watch all of my friends struggle through balancing these priorities and running all over the place. And the current state of their lives is very much like mine consistently was the first week of school: exhausted and drained.

Surely there is a better way to survive freshman recruitment than this.

I was encouraged this week by a sermon from my paster on the name of God Yahweh Shalom, from the call of Gideon in Judges. God says of himself he is peace. The word Shalom doesn't simply mean tranquility but also completeness, wholeness, justice, etc. I feel like my mind has been racing the last couple of nights reviewing all the problems we are up against this year in Navs and in the lives of my friends. It is encouraging to remember that God is my peace and Sovereign over our lives. He works in us even when we fail.

0 comments: