Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Paul, the fundraiser...?

I've recently been spending my quiet times going through passages in the Bible on giving and receiving.  Paul has some interesting things to say about the subject that are difficult for me to understand...


Paul is master of being anyone to everyone.  He believes the two basic principles that "you should not mussel an ox while its treading grain," and "A worker is worth his wages."  Yet for the Corinthians he makes it crystal clear that he has not come for their money, but rather for  them.  He instructs the church it is good to be generous, and though Paul has every right to demand wages from them ("For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews' spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings." Rom 15:27), but instead Paul took no more than what he absolutely needed.  

Thessalonians are a different story though.  I don't know what historically was going on with that church, but Paul urges them to keep to themselves, mind their own business, and work with there hands.  Later he tells how he ate nothing while with them without paying for it himself.  He worked night and day.  He gave them the rule "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."  And he urged them not to be busybodies, but rather efficient and devoted laborers.

Finally he reminds Timothy about the Ox and of what Jesus said about the worker being worth his wages.

As I continue fundraising to work full time with Navs, I have been thinking through these things more.  I know I believe all this, but being so long in the fuunding process it is really seperating my simple beliefs from my solid convictions.  

God's economy is so different from this world.


0 comments: