Wednesday, May 20, 2009

God in a box

just doesn't work.  I just finished Numbers and was beginning to kid myself into believing whatever the patriachs asked God would grant, and that he was a jokster who enjoyed doing things like listening to Israel complain simply so that He could watch them squirm from plegues and snakes.  Abram begged God to spare Sodom in 10 righteous men were found in the town.  Moses presuaded God to spare Aaron after he constructed the golden calf, to spare Israel after they were stupid, and to provide healing from the vipers in the desert.


But just when I think God can be fit in a box, along comes Balaam to curse Israel.  But he can only return to the King and say "Must I not take heed to speak what the Lord has put in my mouth?"  With local dieties it was popular to petition them again and again until they did what you wanted.  But not the Lord.  He makes up his own mind.  His mind doesn't change. 

I used to think prayer was simply a formula: righeousness + consistant prayer = request granted.

It's not as simple as that.

0 comments: