Monday, May 5, 2008

Unity

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Eph. 4:3

Random thoughts on unity:
- Without the Spirit there is no unity
- Unity for the sake of unity is an intangible dream. Because there is no concrete example of perfect unity for every situation there will always be room between where we are and where we want to be.
- Critical minds take said gap and inflate it exponentially
- Thankful minds look at the blessings and encouragement which God has grown in the unified group.
- Vision is essential for unity. A compelling vision that members of the group desire to run as hard as possible towards, dragging, coxing, or carrying all other members towards. Running with such a force that to look left or right long enough to criticize the limp in another's step is out of the question; one can only look straight ahead.
- The most common visions I've seen unite men is the desire to protect and honor women, the desire to serve other men, and the desire to run hard after God together.
- Things in my class which have aided vision and ultimately group unity are:
-- Praying together as a class
-- Praying consistently with another member of the class
-- Preparing dinner for women in the ministry
-- Serving common causes in small groups. Examples: widow, impoverish Mexican families, etc.
-- Taking time to encourage each other in a group setting, through letters, gifts, or quality time together
-- Taking communion together

The closest friends I have now are the ones who, in twenty years, I will be just as excited to hear how they are still chasing after the common vision of loving God and making him know.

There are two things I feel I understand less about every year. One of which is how to get other people excited about a common idea or vision, and best spur each other on towards love and good deeds.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Ryan, I think you've found your blogging identity, and I'm so grateful for it! I'm loving reading your posts!

Daniel Burgos said...

This is really good Ryan. Seriously, thank you for sharing your thoughts on unity, because to be honest it's kind of a hard thing (for me) to grasp... I guess to me it seems pretty intangible, but this post was helpful for getting a feel for how unity can play out in our lives. ps- I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this subject sometime...