Monday, December 10, 2007

buisness as usual

JUNE 16 2007

Sorry it's been so long since the last post...

Life here is finally rolling along on somewhat of a scheduled pace. It seemed like it was a long time coming, with what seemed like a long waiting period before this, but it finally feels like I'm on a standard weekly schedule that will reflect what the rest of the summer looks like.

Just for a filler, here's profiles of my three guys on my team: (sorry, pictures will come once someone gives me a digital camera... :)).

-Steve Willson:
From CU Boulder. Pretty introverted and quiet, but has a great unique sense of humor, and is one of the more courageous guys I've known. He has a real heart for finding answers and truth reflected in his thought provoking questions, and because of ROTC is one of the more disciplined guys I know.

-Brad Southard:
Industrial Design major at a school near Boulder. He is pretty much a jack of all trade; he even made a wooden workable bike, which from the pictures is pretty sweet. Pray he would connect well with other guys here, as he goes to a school near UCBoulder, so it's a little harder to get involved with the Nav Group there. He is working in maintenance, which interacts with my job alot, which is pretty sweet. That means we get to see each other somewhat often on the job and have very similar scheduled shifts.

-Andy Hlushak
I already wrote a little about Hlushak in another post, but just to reiterate... He's an art major from CSU, who is a mix of Zach Cobos and Trip Carroll, if you know either of those. Very enjoyable to be around and a natural leader, though I don't think he sees himself as such. He is extremely excited about Jesus, and I am really looking forward to how God will root him this summer.

As for myself, I feel like God has been reminding me a lot about my priorities and why I am here. I am here to serve these men in whatever way I can, and to push, pull, entice, or otherwise move them towards Jesus. Their growth, being firmly rooted in the word with a genuine concern and love of others is the Wall that I would like to build in their life (Nehemiah had 52ish days to build a wall; I have roughly the same time to do this through devotion and prayer). I have also been learning a lot from the Gospels, especially through John the Baptist's Father and Mary, about what it means and looks like to trust God at what he has promised to do. Romans 5:17 says of Abraham: "He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were." Abraham believed God's promise because he knew God can and would give life to the dead and call things that are not as though they were. I believe God has purpose for these men, that he desires their growth more than I do, and that he is more than capable of doing great things in their lives. Would you join in praying that these men would be deeply rooted in Christ this summer?

0 comments: